Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Situation

This blog is being altered somewhat.  It is not being deleted, however any new content will be posted to my main blog Pewter Pixel Wars.  All of the posts from this blog have been added there, and hopefully there will be more pics and maybe even a game or two featured on the other blog.


Thank you for following along!

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Let's try again

After quite some time, I have found myself a copy of this:



This is the fourth (or maybe fifth) book set in the Monster Blood Tattoo setting.  Not easily available in the US, I found one for a reasonable price on Abebooks.

Perhaps this will be a catalyst for this old project!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Boschenburg musketeers, part 5

A little bit of work on these figures, as the rebasing project moves forward once again:


New 25mm MDF bases, and a new filler for the top.  I am using a method very similar to the one used at this post on Dots of Paint.  Different, of course, but with the same basic premise:  using a pre-colored compound for the base.  I am using this for my bases:


This material has a grainy texture, and dries solid.  I will put my usual basing materials on top of this layer.

This should speed up the basing process a bit, but time will tell...

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Boschenburg musketeers, part 4

There are times when I look back on a project and ask myself, 'What was I thinking?'

Well, I know what I was thinking when I mounted my Half Continent troops on ¾" washers - smaller footprint for the figures is good, and I can just make my own sabot bases.  That did not turn out as planned, so I am re-basing them onto 25mm MDF:


Here is the carnage so far.  Fortunately, no major damage has been done to the figures!  But, I have many more to go before the task is finished.

Luckily, many of the monsters were put onto 25mm bases at the start, and the grinnlings will keep their ¾" bases as I do not foresee them being grouped for mass battle...

Friday, March 4, 2016

Picking up the pieces

As it has been quite a while since I have done any sort of work with this project, it might be a good idea to take stock and figure out a direction, once again.

First off, I am thinking of the dreaded rebasing task for the troops.  Currently, they are based of ¾" washers.  The smaller footprint of the washers is good, but it has one disadvantage - if I decide to move up a notch from skirmish games, then base trays would be needed, and I have yet to find a manufacturer that makes ¾" sabot bases as a regular item.  (And yes, I still think about moving up to bigger games!)  Therefore, I am considering moving to 25mm bases.  This will make the transition to sabot bases much easier, as they are commercially available from many places.  A new shop has come up - Supreme Littleness - with interesting products and competitive pricing.

Second is the subject of rules.  Always one of my prime friction points, single/sabot basing will make it easier to switch from one to another.  Of note, there is a new version of Sharp Practice coming, according to the TFL blog.  It looks to be great fun, and will be considered once it hits the printers.

Third, terrain needs to be constructed/purchased.  On this line, I have purchased some tree kits and am looking forward to finally getting something to decorate the table with instead of just figures!